Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Week 5: Woman or Goddess with Snakes and Ruler of Gudea


                    The two pieces of art, Votive Statue of Gudea, page 37 in the book and Woman or Goddess with Snakes on page 88 in the book. Both of these figures are important and a position of high power, considering one was a ruler and the other a possible goddess and are both wearing some kind or crown or hat. Yet they look completely different. There physical form is very different, as is their style of clothing. The Ruler of Gudea has a much more simplistic feel, a quiet confidence, and the key to life. On the other hand the woman or goddess had many details, and colors, and is holding snakes which for many cultures are considered evil, and a sign of death.
                     The Ruler of Gudea seems very simply composed compared to the woman/goddess with the snakes. He has a realistic look, soft edges, strong composure and the detailed writing on his robe he does not have the busy detailed look the woman has because of the lack of color. The Ruler of Gudea has some smooth places, such as the top of the robe, his arms, and face resulting in a more simplistic look. The Ruler of Gudea with his stern and relaxed form, while holding the cup of overflowing water also has a look of confidence. The woman/goddess has many more curves, and limbs, and spaces surrounding her body. Her arms are out from her body making more space. The woman has a long dress with folds of beautiful color in her skirt and her body is painted, along with intricate designs everywhere on her clothing. Her waist is very small; I feel it is slightly unrealistic. The woman or goddess with all her decoration , detail, color and the posture of holding two snakes up in either hand makes her look confidant in herself, or perhaps in what she stands for. But she is also holding two snakes. As soon as I see the two snakes I think of deception, evil, and death. When I see the ruler I see water overflowing with fish swimming, well, I think of life, healthiness, and power. I am pretty sure there are very few civilizations that viewed snakes as a positive thing…especially when being held up in a position of, “I am going to stab something with these snakes.” (That’s what is come across to me anyway)  So the women/goddess gives me the feeling of deception. I keep thinking of it as, a beautiful woman with a deadly ‘pet’. Then there is the ruler. I see life in the kind face of the ruler. He has overflowing amount of water, and fish. He carries and provides both food and water. The woman or goddess, has sharper straighter lines, while the ruler has softer appearance. I feel the ruler was obvious a good person, who helped his people. But I would really like to know exactly who this woman was, and what her purpose was.

7 comments:

  1. That is great insight you give in comparing these different pieces of art. I have to agree with you about the snakes and the thought of deception, evil, and death. I believe that, in our society, we associate snakes with these things, perhaps because of the biblical implications, but it could have been different for Minoans. As the lecture pointed out it could stand for rejuvenation and resurrection. Your post was a very entertaining read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right that snakes are considered to be evil in some cultures. And it could be that the snake goddess is "mastering" some evil snakes (referencing the "Master of the Animals" motif). But, as Jesse mentioned, these snakes could also represent positive things, like rejuvenation and resurrection.

    Snakes can hold both positive and negative associations in ancient cultures. If you're interested in learning more about snakes, you may like to read a post that I wrote several months ago, when I had taught an ancient class that had a lot of students who were interested in this topic.

    -Prof. Bowen

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like hyperlinks don't appear very well in your comment field. You can scroll over the words "a post" in my earlier comment, and the black text will turn into a hyperlink that directs to my post.

    -P.B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your take on the snake goddess is interesting as it directly opposes my thoughts on that piece. I immediately get a sense that this goddess is a healing and rejuvenation goddess, snakes are a symbol of rebirth and life. One of my favorite snake symbols is on every doctor’s oath. I also loved the attire and how her breasts were fully exposed and completely perfect. The flouncing dress tiers expanding out as each new level unfolds. I do love your interpretation of the Gudea statue it is such a serene statue I find it has an almost meditative quality about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that both these figures look strong. Parts of each appear still, while other parts are moving. Moving: the water & fish in the Votive Statue of Gudea and the snakes and the woman’s arms in Woman or Goddess with Snakes. Both figures have wide intentional stares. Because of her dress (except for her bare breasts), the woman has the look of being upper class. I’m probably reading that wrong. It may not be consistent with the time period. It is hard to look at snakes and not see them as symbolic of death or evil. Certainly the snakes are powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that the symbolic purposes the votive statues serve are a major reason why the composition is, as you put, "serene" and "simply composed". Since the votive statues were meant to be placed in front of figurines of idols for worship, it makes sense that (even though he was a ruler) he would be simple and reserved. An elaborately decorated votive statue would kind of defeat the purpose of a humble worshipping.

    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with your description of the Ruler of Gudea as being serene and peaceful, mostly because of his relaxed pose, softer curves, and simple face. As for Goddess with Snakes, I definitely get more of an action feeling from this piece, because her hands are out stretched and the snakes are arched in her hands. I'm not really sure if the snakes represent good or they represent evil, but she is clearly shows control and power over them.

    ReplyDelete